Academy Council/School Site Council/ELAC
The Academy Council is responsible for implementing the program described in the charter. In addition, it will assume the role of the School Site Council (SSC). In carrying out this responsibility, the Council makes decisions and adopts procedures that result in:
- Effective day-to-day operation of the Charter
- Accomplishing the mission and goals of the Charter
- Effective use of money in the school budget.
The ELAC is comprised of parents, staff, and community members designated to advise school staff and Academy Council on English learner programs and services will be formed as per California Education Code, sections 35147, 52176(b) and (c), 62002.5, and 64001(a) and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 11308. These regulations call for the formation of an ELAC when there are 20 or more English learners at a school. YPSA currently enrolls approximately 145 English learners.
The committee will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Advising the principal, Academy Council members, and staff in the development of an LCAP that includes a plan for English learners.
- Assisting in the development of the schoolwide needs’ assessment.
- Suggesting ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
- Having the opportunity to elect at least one member to the Academy Council.